08 March 2005

Book of Note

I've become fascinated by the used books available on Amazon for cheap (next up: Joe Jackson's autobiography).
I happened to stumble upon one recently that I read last night. (It was only 230+ pages, so reading it in one night isn't any real accomplishment)
The Day the World Came to Town is an interesting bit of nonfiction about 9/11 and the people whose planes were diverted and stranded at an airport in Canada. I found myself really moved by the generosity of a community and of the different ways people deal manage a crisis.
An incredible tale, I only wish it was a little better written, the people more fully fleshed out. It seems to me like there may have been a rush to publish (hardcover edition released 9/1/02), which didn't leave much time for research, writing, and editing. But it's still an interesting read. If you're an easily emotional person, have some tissues handy. I may have had my hay fever act up once or twice myself.

No comments: