17 May 2005

If you're any kind of a fan - you must rent...

Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns. It's a really enjoyable documentary about They Might Be Giants, released on DVD in 2003, and filmed (I think) as TMBG were about to release Mink Car in 2001.
It's chock full of lots of professional fanboy (and girl) fawning, featuring Frank Black, Sarah Vowell, Andy Richter, and many many others, but since it's about They Might Be Giants, there are some idiosyncratic moments as well. The best line probably comes from a British interview show from the 80s, where the host says "You're the biggest independent group in the States, right?" and John Flansburgh answers "Yes, but that's kind of like being the tallest midget."

My favorite part, however, was a brief bit of an interview with Syd Straw:
Syd: Um, okay, uh - how serious a documentary is this? I mean, have people-
Guy Behind Camera: Serious
Syd: I mean, have people been, uh, truthful, or..?
GBC: Yeah, people have been pretty much truthful, I guess.
Syd: Have people pretty much said that they're nice guys, or, what's the ...?
GBC: Most people've said they're nice guys
Syd: Have you talked to anybody that really knows them?

I think this is the kind of tone I'd like for the inevitable documentary about my life. That is not to be confused with the multiple biopics my life will no doubt inspire. Nor the Lifetime Original Movie where Judith Light plays my mother.

No comments: