13 December 2007

Number Three in a Series of Three

I saw a lot of concerts this year. More than I ever have seen in any previous calendar year.


1) Keane - 5/27/07 - Tower Theatre, Upper Darby, PA. I wrote a post about it at the time, and time has done nothing to change my opinion. This was a great, great combination of elements: super-involved crowd, an energetic band, and an incredible venue. I will return to Upper Darby in 2008 if I can find the riht show to see. And I'll see Keane again. And again.

2) Arcade Fire - 5/9/07 - Radio City Music Hall, NYC. The second of two evenings with the Arcade Fire this year. The first, in February at Judson Church in NYC, would probably be #5 or 6 on this list. This was my first show at Radio City and it was a great one. I never thought of it as a place to see a rock show. Obviously, I was wrong. Arcade Fire rocked the shit out of that joint - their set wasn't exceptionally long (about 90 minutes), but they played just about everything you'd ever want to hear from them, and the crowd was eating them alive. At one point the trumpet player ran up this support on the side of the theatre up to the balcony. It was incredible. (one of my favorite concert photogs got a pic of that moment)

3) Rufus Wainwright - 6/6/07 - The Blender Theatre at Gramercy./ I'm not going to go on about how great Rufus is, or how good his new album is. We had like, 5th row seats for this show. Another great venue I'd never been to before, another show highlighting excellent musicians playing excellent music, AND Rufus' mother and sister did a couple of numbers during the encores. Really really good show. Most other years it would have been my favorite.

There are so many others I could write about in detail here, but I'm tired, so I'll just give them a mention: Skye at Joe's Pub, Ricky Gervais at The Theatre at Madison Square Garden, Editors at Webster Hall, David Sedaris at The Community Theatre and Shelby Lynne (doing a set of Dusty Springfield tunes) at Hiro Ballroom.

Much love and thanks to the people who made these experiences special by sharing them with me.

No comments: