17 August 2008

South Pacific

The fella and I were lucky enough to catch South Pacific at Lincoln Center this weekend.
I could go on and feel like I didn't recommend it enough.
I'm not the biggest fan of the piece (at least I didn't think I was) but this production won me over, and quickly.
The director chose not to overwhelm the audience with giant, intricate sets (the sets are lovely, though, and not small, but not garish). Instead, he positions the piece and the performers front and center, and they deliver stupendously. Kelli O'Hara gives a performance as good as any you'll find in New York. Each note seems to float on the air as she sings it, every word out of her mouth is believable, and she's got such an incredible, winning energy to her.
I appear to be going on and on, sorry.
It's a great production. It's a terrific tale, told well, that will (almost certainly) give you a temporary case of hay fever. IT's the shortest three hours you may ever spend in a theater.
The only downside is that exterior of Lincoln Center is being renovated, so you can't play around near the fountain or see the front of the Met or Avery Fisher Hall. The fella had never been there, so it would have been nice to show it off.

No comments: