26 April 2006

Run! Run!

If you're going to be near NYC any time in the next several months, I'd recommend the following two shows I've seen recently:
1) The Drowsy Chaperone - a musical homage to the fluff musicals of the 1920s that's written and staged and performed with such wit and flair that you don't mind that you remember none of the songs. Funny, funny, funny show - from beginning to end. Sutton Foster gives a wonderful performance (would be surprised if she's not Tony nominated for this), and Bob Martin (who also wrote the book) is incredible as "Man In Chair". See this show. Seriously.
2) The Lieutenant of Inishmore - Holy shit. I saw this play this evening. From the nosebleeds. It's brilliantly funny, gory as all hell, it's like Pulp Fiction in Ireland. I cannot recommend it highly enough. If you know me, and you think my twisted sadistic sense of humor is funny, then you should really, really make your way to the Lyceum.

No comments: