17 January 2006

OK - I am not made of stone....

While waiting to gain some time on the 24 premiere on Sunday (got to wait 30 minutes so I can TiVo through all the commercials. It's more crucial with 24 than with any other show.), I channel surfed a bit until I came to the second hour of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Now, I've probably seen it before in passing, but I was paying attention to this, and NOTHING gets my hay fever going like watching people struggle to help other people out of the simple goodness of their hearts (and for Nielsen points).
This particular episode featured a house in Seattle where it rained all week, slowing the construction mightily, to the point where they were *gasp* going to have to push the reveal back an extra day. So the construction coordinator (who has been slowly deteriorating the entire episode from lack of sleep, frustration, etc) literally crumbles and says that while he appreciates the offer, he (through *buckets* of tears) and his men were going to get this house finished by the original deadline.
Well. You'd have thought I was watching Terms of Endearment with my mother, the way I was tearing up. Damn those manipulative gods of television!!!
Happily, they went back to Sears and Kenmore product placement shots within a couple of minutes, so I was able to build up my wall of cynicism again. Phew!

No comments: